Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Media Fast - Day 4

Well, I broke the fast momentarily today. After Brian McCann hit a 3 run double in the All-Star game, I wanted to see who all posted about it on Facebook. Oh well. I also spent a while looking at fantasy baseball stuff, which technically wasn't against the rules, but I spent a while on there which kind of defeated the purpose of the fast. Again, oh well. I still plan on staying on track.

I'm sure I'll have my ups and downs with this, but I know the general trend will work in my favor. And I don't have much guilt over breaking it today because it's not something I committed to God. It's just something I want to do.

On a side note, I decided to buy some Oreo Cakesters today on my brother's recommendation. These are like regular Oreo's but instead of having chocolate cookie sandwiching the icing, they have a chocolate cake-like substance. I found many things about these less pleasing than original Oreos. First, the consistency. The mushy cake-on-icing is not near as good as the crunch you get from a regular Oreo. Also, you lose the ability dip the Oreo and get that wonderfully paradoxical crunchy-yet-soggy consistency. Also, the taste isn't as good as the original. The chocolate flavor isn't as strong so the icing becomes overpowering. But the worst part of all came when I looked at the nutrition information. Two cakesters come in a package. These are slightly larger than regular Oreos by the way. Two cakesters contain 180 calories. That's 90 calories per cakester. And on top of that, one package contains 18 grams of fat. Now, one gram of fat has 9 calories (carbs and protein both have 4). So that means there are 18g x 9cal = 162 calories from fat. That's right, 162 of the 180 calories that are in cakesters are from fat. For those without calculators, that means OREO CAKESTERS ARE 90% FAT. I might as well be gnawing on a stick of butter. I can't believe people eat and enjoy these. If I'm going to clog my arteries with pure, concentrated fat like that, I'm gonna do it with something I enjoy, like straight bacon drippings or heavy cream. Seriously though, if I'm going to eat unhealthy, I'm going to enjoy it. I'm not gonna settle for some sub-par, gross, oreo wannabe. I can just imagine fat Americans everywhere apathetically chowing down on these and it makes me sick. Oreo Cakesters are everything that's wrong with America.

2 comments:

  1. sick. and we wonder why america is overweight. thanks for the info, i guess we won't be trying any cakesters :) i also have to add that i don't really enjoy the crunch of the original oreo. but i LOVE when you dip it in milk and it's all soft and melts in your mouth. yum. i think i'll add oreos to the list this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried Oreo Cakesters for the first (and only) time a few months ago--they came highly recommended--and I was not impressed. I'm not a big fan of regular Oreos either, though I do like them crushed in ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts. I will try to respond to them.