Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Expectations and Transparency

When I was in high school I was involved in many church related activities. I was a "Junior Leader" at youth group, I was active in Young Life, and I was a CORE Leader in FCA. Beyond that, I had a (wonderful) group of Christian friends who kept both hands and heart far away from the typical teenage temptations of sex, drugs, and alcohol. I constantly had people telling me what a great kid I was and let me tell you, I believed them. I enjoyed being seen as something I wasn't: holy. (Sure, I'm holy in God's eyes because of Jesus, but I'm talking about the rank my actions earn me)

The problem with this is that when you start to struggle with something that people would find "unexpected', you keep it to yourself. You downplay it. You convince yourself in your mind that there's a certain set of expectations people have and you don't want to break that.

I have struggled with this for a long time. God hates it and I hate it. I think I've come a long way with it, but it still gets me.

Most recently it has been my struggle with anxiety and depression. And, ironically enough, I believe it's part of the cause of my anxiety and depression. It certainly amplifies it anyway. When I get really anxious, I always feel better once I open up to someone and talk about it. In fact, I think one of the reasons that God is allowing me to have this struggle is to help me be more open and transparent with people.

So there it is, I'm just like anyone else. I struggle with this life all the time. It's REALLY hard. I know I'm not alone and I hope you know you're not alone. And most important, I hope you know this:

"And the Man of all Sorrows
He never forgot
What sorrow is carried
By the hearts that He bought
So when your questions dissolve
Into the silence of God
The aching may remain
But the breaking does not."
~Andrew Peterson (The Silence of God)

4 comments:

  1. what truth, and what powerful, strong honesty, paul - thank you for your transparency.
    i like what you wrote about the problem of being (erroneously) seen as "holy" by community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I can't express how much I admire your humility, your honesty and your faith in the throes of life's most painfully reflective moments. Those attributes are not diminished in any way by your struggles. They are, in fact, accentuated by them. Of all the tendencies you've inherited from me, anxiety and depression are the ones I most wish I could take back. I am however, certain beyond any doubt that God loves you all the more fiercely during these times, as do I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. Love you too dad.

    Claire- if you want to read a great book about a person who was humble in the face of a community telling him how holy he was, check out Godric by Frederick Buechner. One of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah! i didn't see your "reply" comment 'til just now.
    but thanks, paul - i will write this down to check out his book!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts. I will try to respond to them.