Monday, January 19, 2009

Northern Denmark

This past Saturday I traveled up to the north end of Denmark to visit Helsingør and then took a short ferry over to Helsingborg, Sweeden. I traveled by train, which was neat. Here are a few pics from the adventure.




This is Haven Cafe, where I stopped for lunch and enjoyed Danish meatballs with bread, pickled beets, and sweet pickles. Good people at Haven Cafe.



This is Kronborg Castle, famous for being the setting of Shakespeare's Hamlet. In the play, the castle is referred to as Elsinore (like Helsingør).

I elected not to pay the 100 DKK ($20) they wanted to see the rooms in the castle because I'll be visiting another castle soon that's supposed to be much nicer.

After walking around Helsingør a little bit more (and finding a glorious cheese shop that I wish I had taken a picture of and that I bought some Old Amsterdam cheese from) I took a ferry over to Sweden (which I have only recently discovered is spelled Sweden and not Sweeden) (sorry, I know I'm going a little parenthesis-happy right now). For some reason in Denmark, it costs about 40 Kroner for a beer, but only 47 Kroner to buy a round trip ferry pass to Sweden. Here are some pics from Helsingborg.



Apparently there are a lot of folks in Sweden who don't like Israel. They were yelling a lot so I quickly took this pic and left.



Later on the riot crew left and so I was able to climb the steps that they had been standing on. This is the view from the top. You can see Denmark in the background, across the water.



What's that, you wish you could experience the view from up there? Perhaps this will help.



Ok, that's all I have time for right now. Tomorrow, I'll post about Weinerbrød!

1 comment:

  1. great pictures paul!! so cool you are over there! wish we could have crossed paths while we were living in norway!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave your thoughts. I will try to respond to them.